New Jersey Sex Crime Lawyers
You Have the Right to a Solid Defense
We live in a time where even an allegation of a sex crime can severely affect your reputation and career. It’s long been a tenet of the American justice system that individuals are innocent until proven guilty, but it almost seems as if that is no longer true.
If you have been accused of a sex crime, you need a strong defense. Our New Jersey sex crimes lawyers can give you the best chance of proving yourself innocent and vindicating your character.
Types of Sex Crime Charges
Though all sex crime charges can have a serious effect on your life, some are considered more serious than others for the purpose of sentencing and penalties.
In New Jersey, the severity of sex crimes ranges from first to fourth degree:
- Aggravated sexual assault—crime of the first degree
- Sexual assault—crime of the second degree
- Aggravated criminal sexual contact—crime of the third degree
- Criminal sexual contact—crime of the fourth degree
Certain “aggravating” circumstances increase the seriousness of the charge:
- The victim was between 13 and 16 years old, and the alleged perpetrator had some relation to or position of authority over the victim
- The act occurred during the commission of another crime
- The act involved threats with a weapon
- The act involved use of physical force or another person’s help
- The victim sustained injuries
- The victim was affected by a condition or handicap that kept them from being able to provide consent
What to Do If You Are Charged with a Sex Crime
Accusations of sex crimes tend to expose the alleged perpetrator to a lot of public scrutiny. Because of this, it’s important to get legal help. Do not act without consulting a lawyer; in fact, it is best to confer with a lawyer even for basic communications to make sure you do not say something that can be misconstrued.
Facing sex charges is not easy. You want an attorney who can defend you every step of the way. That’s why you want Warren-Wentz, LLC. We are aggressive advocates who will not let assumptions and public opinion affect your case.
His professionalism and attentiveness of his staff gave me the confidence as if I had personally hired a "high profile" attorney.- Justin
I would highly recommend him. He simplified a complicated case and took the time to explain the whole process thoroughly.- Shawn
Great lawyer- amazing in the courtroom.- Abby